The great commander, Mihalachi Spiridon, the responsible for Tîrgul-Ocnei Salinas, while hunting, “in the year 1801, through the valley of Slanic, uninhabited by no human soul and covered with a secular forest, finds a spring from the rock, the water leaving yellow tracks on its way to the river.
The hunter tastes and stands out through branches of trees the place discovered. Friends later admit thatthe water is mineral and that it is used abroad to heal illness. ”
Mihalache Spiridon arranges the place, discovering the second mineral spring next to the first, but with a different taste, and also finds in the years 1804 – 1807 the springs no. 3, 4 and 5 and, by cutting the forest and breaking the rocks, makes way so that people were able to go to the springs, at least by horses. In his memory, Spring no. 1 of the Slanic valley has long been named the “Mihail Spring “.
The news about the mineral waters in the Slanic valley is stretching swiftly throughout Moldavia, and from all sides came people who needed healing, wrote Wilhem de Kotzebue. He also raises a church near the springs (1810).
By 1820 there were about 40 rooms for the sick people in Slanic, made by Mihaluca commander. In 1824, a royal privilege is granted for the establishment of the baths. In 1826, Mr. Ionita Sandu Sturza climbs the number of colonists to 27.
In 1840, the resort appeared for the first time on the map of the country, under the name of Feredeiele Slanicului. Under the administration of the Epitropy of St. Spiridon, the resort takes great strides. Great efforts are to be done for the discovery of new springs. In 1856, based on the commission of the Epitropy request, Dr. Ludwig Steege draws up, on the basis of partial analyzes made in 1852 by Zotta and Abrahamfi pharmacists and assisted by chemists Schnnel and Th. Stenner, a complete study of the springs, which he compares with the waters of famous European resorts:Setters, Gleichenberg, Krahnchen, Aix-la-Chapelle, St. Marie, Vichy, Kissingen, Marienbad, Karlsbad, Kreuznach, Ems, Adelheid, Spa, Bruckenaud.
In 1881, the waters of the springs no. 1, no. 3, the latter also nicknamed the “King of Slanic”, and no. 4 won the silver medal at the International Balneology Exhibition in Frankfurt, and in 1883 at the Vienna Exhibition, the gold medal.
The writer Wilhem de Kotzebue, who spent the summer of 1885 in Slanic, doing all sorts of research, managed to gather testimonies and to describe in his book the scenic happenings that led to the discovery of the first mineral springs in the Slanic Valley. In 1887, the systematization of the resort started.
The old settlement is relocated to the lower part of the locality, and in its place new buildings (1887-1912) appear: the hotel “Racovita”, after the name of the ruler who donated to the Eforie St. Spiridon these places, a monumental building, combining Baroque style with elements of ancient Romanian architecture.
The “Casino” is now being built with theater, concert and ballroom, Curative Hall and “Inhaler” for which Munich specialists are being brought. At the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1900, they get the gold medal again. Slanic-Moldova was a modern spa resort for those times, which could stay alongside foreign resorts.
Since then, it has been nicknamed “Pearl of Moldova”, a renown that continues to this day.
The years of the First World War, 1916 – 1918, made Slanic Moldova a ruin.
After the entry of German troops into the resort, the Commandment is located at Racovita hotel.
At the end of the war, Slanic is almost destroyed. Its reconstruction begins late. In 1932, the Racovita Hotel was still a ruin. With great efforts the resort is only partially restored.
Only after the nationalization of the spa resorts (1948), Slanic-Moldova takes a new momentum.
New buildings are being built, capital repairs and refurbishment are being carried out at the existing villas. A bus line runs between the resort and Târgu Ocna.
In the last decades of the last century, there are a few modern buildings built in the resort, the beauty of which separates them from their harmonious connection with other buildings, using architectural elements appropriate to the mountain style.
Slanic Moldova becomes a modern center of scientific and hydromineral treatment of permanent character. Since 1974, Slanic-Moldova has been declared a resort of international interest
The Royal Casino, built during the reign of Carol I in 1894 , isSlanic-Moldova is, a historical monument of national interest architecture. Two more objects in the city are included in the historical monuments of Bacau County as monuments of local interest: the former town hall of Vasile Alecsandri Street number 2 (built between 1870 and 1890) is classified as an architectural monument; and the memorial plaque from Izvorul 1 (placed in 1927) is classified as a memorial monument.